Ministry of University and Research – Fund for Investments of Central Administrations
Action Lines: Research and innovation activities in research centers – Research and infrastructures
INGV Project: ‘Pianeta Dinamico (Dynamic Planet)-Working Earth’: Geosciences For The Understanding The Dynamics Of The Earth And The Consequent Natural Risks – PD
Responsible: Prof. Carlo Doglioni, INGV President
INGV Coordinators: Paolo Augliera and Guido Ventura
1. To contribute in an innovative way to the storing, sharing and processing of data of all the possible observable parameters to identify the processes governing seismic, volcanic and environmental phenomena. These objectives will be achieved through the strengthening of the INGV observational networks and of the experimental and computational infrastructures. The PD results will make it possible to provide a new reference model for seismic, volcanic and environmental phenomena and their interconnections.
2. To know the anatomy and kinematics of Earth with special reference to the Italian-Mediterranean area. The final target is to understand the natural phenomenology and the associated potential risks to adopt more effective policies for the safety of the populations and the development of the socio-economic system.
3. To reconstruct the 3D structure and stratigraphy of the subsoil of Italy and seas through seismic profiles, seismic tomography, gravimetric and magnetic methods, monitoring of crustal movements by refining the GPS network, observation and mapping of the Earth from space; in addition, it is intended to create a hydrogeochemical network at a national level capable of detecting changes in the aquifers, which may record changes linked to terrestrial dynamics and which may prelude earthquakes and eruptions.
PD involves about 200 INGV researchers, technologists and technicians and it is organized in 10 Tasks activated in 2020 and 10 Projects activated in 2021.
The Tasks focus on research activities related to the topics of the three INGV Departments of Environment, Earthquakes and Volcanoes (Tasks A1, A2, A3, S1, S2, S3, S4, V1, V2, and V3)
SEISMOLOGY AND DEFORMATION
Projects refer to five main themes and cover cross-fields, multidisciplinary activities including multi-hazard analysis. PD has active collaborations with Italian and international universities and research centers.
- Sea-land interactions
- Relationships among volcanoes, eartquakes, climate and space
- Deformation of the lithosphere
- Evolution of the composition and rheology of the crust, relations between fluids and deformation
- Monitoring and hazards:from data analysis to models, early-warning mechanisms and multi-hazard/multi-risk estimates
The 10 Projects are ATTEMPT, BESTCaFE, CHOPIN ,HEAVEN, KINDLE, MYBURP, PANACEA, SERENA, SOME, and TIFEHO.
The PD activities will include the creation of a large infrastructure devoted to the storage of large datasets and virtual machines for the implementation of advances, high-performance calculation resources.
The outputs of the PD research will ensure a significant advancement in our understanding of Planet Earth and the natural processes interacting at different time and spatial scales. These are essential pre-requisites for
a) the shift of our society toward an efficient utilization of natural resources for a sustainable energy development,
b) a considerable reduction of the impact of natural disasters,
c) an increase of social and economic resilience, and d) a conscious planning of our future.